- 2 tbsp Cholula® Original Hot Sauce plus extra for serving
- 2 lbs of skirt or flank steak
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tbsp Jose Cuervo® tequila
- 2 tbsp lime juice (from about 1 lime)
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 16 scallions, white and light green part only
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded, deveined and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 medium Haas avocados, halved, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
- Lime wedges, for serving
Place the meat in a shallow baking dish and rub it with the garlic. Mix the tequila, lime juice, orange juice, orange zest, Cholula® Original sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk in 1/4 cup of oil and pour the marinade over the meat.
Press 1 1/2 tablespoons of cilantro onto each side of the meat in an even layer. Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight, turning the meat occasionally.
Place the scallions and red peppers in a bowl and toss them with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the oregano and some salt.
Preheat the broiler and place the oven rack about 6 inches from the heating element.
Remove the meat from the marinade and season it with some salt. Place the steak, scallions and peppers on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet or broiler pan. Broil until browned on both sides, about 5 to 7 minutes per side for medium-rare (slightly longer for flank steak), turning the scallions and peppers when you flip the steak. Transfer the steak to a cutting board, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let it rest for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add a tortilla and warm for 10 to 15 seconds. Flip the tortilla over and continue to warm until the tortilla is pliable and heated through, about another for 10 to 20 seconds. Place on a plate, cover with a kitchen towel and set aside; repeat with the remaining tortillas.
Cut the steak into thin slices against the grain and serve with the warm tortillas, the scallions, peppers and some avocado slices. Pass the remaining cilantro, lime wedges and Cholula® Original sauce to season to taste.